Hiding zfs "partitions" on the desktop

I finally got annoyed of the two “rpool” icons on my desktop, so after a bit of wild googling I came up with this:

ik5pvx@penny:/etc/udev/rules.d$ cat 10-ignore-disks.rules 

KERNEL=="zd*", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"

KERNEL=="nvme3n1p4", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"
KERNEL=="nvme2n1p4", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"

After a ‘udevadm trigger’ the icons finally went away. Now, this is nice but what I’d really have preferred was to use the by-label name (which in my case is rpool). I have not been able to find a combination of ENV or ATTR entries to match it. Does anybody know how to do that?

1 Like

I suppose this is with Ubuntu or some DE that puts storage on the desktop. I’m not seeing that with Plasma on Debian. But there are a lot of other places where ZFS pools are ignored. My Plasma system monitor shows 17.1 GiB used of 59.6 GiB The only thing in df that references something other than a pool or tmpfs is the EFI partition.

/dev/nvme0n1p2     505M  5.9M  499M   2% /boot/efi

Happily my monitoring S/W (checkmk) seems to be happy with pools. But it has the annoying habit of wanting to monitor all datasets which can get pretty extensive on a file server that holds a lot of backups.

And I have no idea about your actual question. :wink:

Hah, sorry I didn’t mention the DE because udev is pretty much the same for a bunch of them. It’s xfce on debian. I had the 2 rpool partitions (one for each nvme stick) and one zvol appear as icons, like if they were removable disks or other “extra” storage.