Is ZFS the correct solution?

I have 3 proxmox nodes, 2 are usually off & the other has quorum on its own. This is so that I can run low power & quite in my small apartment & expand to the other devices when testing something that needs additional resources. Main device has 2 - 8TB SSDs & I have used the proxmox interface to make one a ZFS Pool

My goal for the data storage would be to have:

• some lxc that share data
  • ability to move lxc from 1 host to another if needed
  • a kubernetes cluster that could use it for persistent storage

Trying to find guides I’ve read what sounds conflicting advice/directions and have become very confused. Any advice is welcome, if encouraged I am happy to change any of the tooling to get my homelab running with persistent storage

1 Like

Depending on some fairly hairy specifics, ZFS might or might not be slightly lower performance than ext4/xfs for some of your applications. (Particularly the way Proxmox configures it.)

I’d still highly recommend it, because even if you see lower performance–which is not always the case, and frequently ends up being the exact opposite case once you learn to tune ZFS for your specific workload–you’ll still have a considerably more robust, reliable filesystem which is MUCH more resistant to data corruption and hardware failure than the alternatives.

1 Like

Thank you, I will continue down this path

If you use replication ZFS is the better choice. It is faster than the replication via ext4.
Why replication? Moving a VM from one node to another is much faster than moving it to a “blank” target. The disadvantage is that you use the space on both nodes at the same time.

1 Like

BTW, every time I see this post’s subject line show up in Topics–every single time, including the first time–I have to resist the strong urge to open it up, quote absolutely nothing but the subject line, and say “Yes.” :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes