Modifying deleting answers

It seems that it is possible to delete or edit “replies” to a topic, but not “answers” to the first post. This is potentially an issue if a user inadvertently discloses sensitive information they would like to revoke or would otherwise like to withdraw information they have given out. In the spirit of free expression and user privacy, I think deletion of answers should be enabled if possible.

Apologies if I am wrong about this.

Not to step on Jim’s toes here as the guy that makes these decisions, but the policy I’ve seen has been to prevent “dirty deletes” where someone answers a question, an answer shows up, then the question or answer is removed, depriving future users of the information.

I’m trying to imagine something you would put out there in a situation like this that would be any sort of compromise. In the rare edge case where someone was drunk and gave away the passwords to their corporate network in the answer, I think a message to the admins would fix things quickly.

The “I got mine” user we saw on Reddit pops to mind. It’s kind of a dirty trick to take down your thread or remove information others can use in the future. Nobody is forced to provide answers, if you don’t want to put things out there to help others, then don’t.