Reddit API follow-up at Ars Technica today

Scharon over at Ars posted a follow-up on the Reddit API controversy that brought most of us here in the first place: Exploring Reddit’s third-party app environment 7 months after the APIcalypse | Ars Technica

I quit Reddit entirely. Now I spend all my time in hacker news. Just like last time when I quit TikTok and ended up on YouTube shorts. I am a weak man and good at time wasting. :slight_smile:

At some point, it would be interesting to see any effects on reddits visitor numbers, after the exodus in June. It felt like a lot of people just left Reddit, but it might be a bias from me due to my own experience from this.

I take a look every week or two. Mostly, it seems that the people who were answering questions intelligibly and accurately bailed. I’m not sure how much difference there really is in the total count of people so far.

I am still using Boost for Reddit. Officially it’s closed and it has been removed from the Play Store, but it works still. Only thing I needed to do was create a subreddit, there seems to be an exception to the API limits for moderators.

I’ve been a little blown away by how many deletions there are in indexed solutions. You’ll get directed there by a search engine and 50% of the time, the solution is gone and there’s a comment asking people what the deleted comment was.

I’ve thought of going back and deleting my comments, but that feels like it’s punishing people that need help (assuming my comments were helpful, which seems so as I’ve gotten replies years later thanking me for posting back if I found a solution).

But I don’t go there anymore to help people, I’m done with that site.

It’s a bitter conundrum for me. I have zero interest in supporting Reddit, but I have a pretty massive vested interest in keeping popular conceptions of OpenZFS on the rails.

And what we all knew was coming: they finally officially filed for IPO (again)

1 Like